Saturday, May 7, 2011

Don't Call it Derby Pie


I'm afraid to even type "Derby Pie" as it is trademarked and voraciously protected by Kern's Kitchen of Kentucky which baked up the first delectable batch in 1954.

So, let me make this perfectly clear -- I am NOT making Derby Pie, I am however making something vaguely remeniscent of this Kentucky Derby favorite with Dollar Store ingredients.

This treat is called many things to escape the wrath of the Kern's. A quick search will turn up "Pegasus Pie", "Run for the Roses Pie", "Twin Spires Pie" . . . the list goes on. Basically, it is Pecan Pie with Bourbon and Chocolate.

I'll be replacing Bourbon with copious quantities of vanilla, making a caramel with sweetened condensed milk, and doing all sorts of other changes. I was able to pick up a graham cracker crust, cream cheese, pecans, chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk to build my pie.

I made a modified cheesecake base with 1 package cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, 4 ounces sour cream, 2 tsp. vanilla extract, and melted chocolate chips. I mixed it up, and baked it a bit before I added more chocolate chips, chopped pecans and drizzled sweetened condensed milk -- which caramelizes as it cooks.

I put it back in the oven, and took it out after about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

The result is delicious.

Okay, I'll admit it looks a lot like Turtle Cheesecake, just don't call it Derby Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment