Friday, December 31, 2010

Peanut Butter and Pretzels

Peanut Butter goes great with many things . . . chocolate, bananas, bacon, celery, jelly, bread . . . most of these you can get at the dollar store (bacon bits I've found, but no real bacon strips yet), but lately I've been eating peanut butter and pretzels.

This week the 99 Cent Only Store had a small 12 oz. jar of Skippy Super Chunk, and a 10 Count Value Pack of Snyder's Mini Pretzels (.5 oz bags).

Both had expiration dates in 2011 -- I do check the expiration dates when I buy name brands from the Dollar Store -- and looked to be good buys.

I'm always a little nervous to have a jar of  peanut butter in the house, as I've been known to overindulge . . . I love it that much, but I am happy to say I have been able to control myself.

The small bags of mini pretzels have 0 fat, 50 calories, and 120 mg of sodium. This is a great diet snack, and you could easily eat 2 small (.5oz) ounce bags and still be worry free.

Peanut butter, on the other hand is loaded with fat (even if it is the good kind, it is still fat) -- 16grams, high in calories (190), but reasonable when it comes to sodium, with 120 grams per serving.

That said, the combination of the pretzels dipped in peanut butter is wonderful, and Vegan friendly. It is easy on the wallet too. I've been eating this while drinking beer, and it just doesn't get any better.

Well, unless you're Elvis. . .  and in honor of the King, here is his recipe for "Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches" taken from my potholder bought at Graceland:

2 Large Bananas
6 Slices White Bread
1 Stick (1/2 cup) Butter
1 Cup Peanut Butter

Peel and mash bananas. Mix peanut butter with bananas thoroughly. Toast bread lightly and spread mix on bread. Melt butter is skillet and brown sadwiches on each side slowly until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment