Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green Beer Bread for St. Patty's Day!

In honor of St. Patrick's Day I decided to cook some easy favorites, but I didn't want to go to the Dollar store, so the caveat was that I only use what I have kicking around.

My one regret is that I didn't put the green beer in the beer bread to make Green Beer Bread, but there is always next year!

Here is the super simple beer bread recipe --

3 cups flour
    3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
    1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 (12 oz.) can beer
    1/2 cup  melted  butter
  Preheat oven to 375F. Mix dry ingredients and beer. Pour into a
 greased loaf pan. Pour melted butter over mixture. Bake 1 hour,
 remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

I used melted margarine and it worked fine. There are so many variations to try by adding onions, cheese, nuts, fruits, you name it . . . but this is the basic recipe.

Now let's see if the Swedish Chef (I mean Leprechan Brother) approves!

No comments:

Post a Comment