Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sausage Balls for Brunch

Well, you know I love my balls, and I always try to make something resembling brunch, as I'm lounging around about noon on Sunday in my jammies.

I get kinda hungry, but I want something easy, so I debated between pancakes, and an omelette, but then I said balls to that, when sausage balls popped into my head.

You can't get much easier than sausage balls, as they only have 3 ingredients -- sausage, cheese, and Bisquick (or the Dollar Store version). The hardest part of making sausage balls is waiting for them to bake in the oven, as you smell and crave their deliciousness.

Believe it or not, I'd never had a sausage ball until I moved to the South, and a co-worker brought some in one day. They were gone in a flash, and I've loved them ever since.

Here is the full recipe, for a big batch of around 3 dozen balls, just in case you want to feed the family, and/or friends:

1 pound sausage
2 cups bisquick
1 pound cheddar cheese

I had on hand:

a 7 oz package of Brown & Serve Turkey Sausage (10 links)
a 3/4 cup (3oz) package of Sargento shredded cheddar cheese,
a package of "Country Value" all purpose baking mix

I cut the recipe to roughly a fourth, using

5 links sausage,
3 oz cheese,
and 1/2 cup baking mix

First I turned on the oven to preheat to 350 degrees.

I microwaved the sausage links for 2 minutes to soften them, but not cook them entirely.

As the sausage cooled slightly, I mixed the cheese and baking mix together.

Then I cut the sausage into small pieces (probably the most effort of this recipe) and added them to the mix.

I washed my hands (safety first!) and got to manipulating the mixture. It was a little dry, so I added a bit of water, until it formed a sticky dough.

Now form walnut (or thereabouts) sized balls, and place on a cookie sheet (I put them on foil for easy clean up) and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes.

As a happy coincidence, that is just about the time it takes me to write a blog post.

My mixture made 13, or a baker's dozen of balls.

So excuse me while I burn my mouth on some hot sausage balls!

Since I'm in a Southern frame of mind, and I'm out of LoSo V-8 for Bloody Mary makin' I decided to wash down my sausage balls with Clayton and David Organic Raspberry Sweet Leaf Ice Tea. I admit I bought this simply because I liked the design of the can. I've never warmed up to iced tea, even with my tenure in Nashville, where Sweet Tea is the drink de rigueur.

The raspberry iced tea might be good mixed with vodka, though, but it is a little too early in the day for me to start drinkin'. In fact in Nashville you can't buy liquor, or wine on Sunday, and beer between the hours of 3 am and noon.

Hamper McBee, what do you think about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment