Monday, April 25, 2011

Improvised Enchiladas


Enchiladas are simple enough - tortillas, cheese, red sauce, maybe some beans, onions, chicken. You know, mexican food.

I'm loath to waste food, so my last ditch solution for old stuff is to boil it or bake it. Kills any germs or bacteria that might be lurking, right?

The flour tortillas that were about a week past the expiration date couldn't be boiled, so I improvised some enchiladas. I know, I know, I'm supposed to use CORN tortillas, but the key word is IMPROVISADO. With some sour cream and a black olive garnish, it is going to be delicious!

Maybe, not exactly the way su madre used to make, but it's not as crazy as THIS . . .



I simply wrapped beans, cheese, onions, left over chicken, and salsa in these great little take-out sort of foil tins I get from the Dollar Tree. I poured red sauce and shredded cheese over the top and baked in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. It was so good, I even omitted the planned sour cream and olive garnish. Another great meal that you can't screw up!

The tins have tops which made taking the leftovers to work the next day super easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment