Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Peeps

I have a very soft spot in my heart and my head for the folks I encounter in the Dollar Store. Simply put, they're my peeps.

All kinds of characters shop where I shop, and they are a constant source of amusement, inspiration, and empathy.

I was actually in the 99 Cent Only Store looking for Peeps when I overheard a short conversation between two mature ladies. One was wearing slippers, a mismatched outfit, talking to herself, and pushing a shopping cart full of all sorts of merchandise -- the other was sartorially better syncopated and generally more lucid, but had probably seen better days herself.

Their brief interchange as they met in the aisle cart to cart went something like this:

"I'm sorry, but I've lost my mind."

"I've lost mine too, but I don't want to find it."

So in honor of these wonderful women (and the glimpse into my future) I offer a favorite of mine by Waylon Jennings.

No comments:

Post a Comment