Monday, January 31, 2011

Chili Verde the Cheap Way




I'm still looking for ways to use the huge can of chopped jalapenos I bought, and I also have leftover cilantro. So when I saw the pork loin in the 99 Cent Only Store, I also went in search of tomatillos to make Chili Verde.

Sometimes the 99 Cent Only Store has fresh tomatillos, but this time I had to settle for canned.

Chili Verde satisfies my 5 basic ingredients rule -- pork, tomatillos, jalapenos, cilantro, and onions. Garlic, oil or butter or margarine and some chicken stock can help as well as a little cumin if you are so inclined.

The pork in the freezer was in the form of 4 oz loin, individually packed and sold. Like the frozen chicken I bought at the 99 Cent Only Store, it is very salty (as is the canned tomatillos), but fine for a soup or stew like Chili Verde.

So here are the basics, and a general idea of how to assemble your Chili Verde.

8 oz pork loin (2 - 4 oz packs)
1 12oz can tomatillos (drained)
1/3 cup chopped jalapenos -- if you are timid, maybe less
1/3 cup cilantro -- again, you could use less
1/2 chopped onion
1 tsp garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp cumin (optional)

Blend the tomatillos, jalapenos, and cilantro in a food processor or blender.

Defrost the pork and cook in oil, butter, or margarine. Cut the pork in bite size pieces. Drain if there is excessive oil.

Add the onions, garlic, and a little chicken broth or water to cook until they are tender. Add the tomatillo, jalapeno, and cilantro mixture, along with the cumin. Adjust the consistency with chicken stock, water, or beer (my go to liquid when I'm cooking, as I'm usually drinking one or two).

Simmer until everything seems just right.

Chili Verde is great by itself, served in tacos, tostadas, burritos, or with chips -- it's delicious.

This recipe will serve 2 - 4 depending on how you dish it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment