Saturday, January 8, 2011

Happy Birthday Elvis -- Cupcakes Fit for a King!


A couple of days ago I made King Cake, today is the King of Rock 'n Roll's birthday, and in less than 2 weeks we will be celebrating Martin Luther King Day!

Elvis Aaron Presley was born January 8, 1935 and would have been 76 years old today.

Last week I featured a recipe for his famous peanut butter and banana fried sandwich. Elvis was also known to love bacon, and there is debate as to whether he put bacon on the sandwiches. I believe he ate the bacon on the side, though many restaurants (even a few in New York City) have been combining these ingredients (plus honey) to honor the King with a menu item.

I have even seen cupcakes that pay homage to Elvis the Pelvis, so I'm going to whip up the Dollar Store version.

I start with a Yellow cake mix, and add one 3.5 oz serving of Hunt's Banana Snack Pack pudding. I add the 3 whole eggs the mix calls for, but reduce the amount of oil from 1/3 cup to a Tablespoon (yep, Snack Packs are mostly oil), and the water from 3/4 cup to a 1/2 cup.

I mix it up, and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Now, I have to admit, I am not a fan of bananas, and here is why --

When I was a kid, my mom had a test to see if we were really sick or just faking it. She would say, "Eat this banana. If you can keep it down, you are going to school." Well, suffice it to say, one day I didn't, and I haven't eaten bananas since. Okay, I know TMI -- but you asked . . . oh, you didn't, did you? Oh well, never mind.

Anyways, these cupcakes are delicious, and they don't have a strong banana taste -- but if you like Elvis love bananas, then feel free to mash up some ripe ones to add to these cupcakes, and up the banana factor.

Elvis also liked yellow cake, topped with pineapple boiled with sugar, and buttercream frosting -- so I'm going to top some of these cupcakes with that mixture and coconut, and the rest are getting the peanut butter and bacon treatment.

Here's how to make peanut butter frosting:

1 cup powdered suger
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 stick softened butter
1/4 cup milk

That's the basics, but I simply added some peanut butter to my left over sour cream frosting, and it is delicious.

I am getting a little fancy and saving some sour cream frosting mixed with a little cream cheese so I can pipe out little swirls on the top of the cupcake to hold the crispy bacon garnish.

I'm adding pineapple and coconut to that combo for a little variety with the rest of the cupcakes, and to simulate the cake Elvis preferred.

So I have a dozen cupcakes fit for a king! It is no wonder Elvis' weight ballooned in his later years, but whether you love young Gold lame Nudie Suit Elvis, or the plumper, jumpsuit clad, karate kicking peacock, you will love these cupcakes.

It's good to be King!

No comments:

Post a Comment