Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Happy Birthday Dolly Parton! Dixie Stamped Garlic Cheese Biscuits



You jump outta bed and you stumble to the kitchen,
pour yourself a cup of ambition,
and yawn and stretch and try to come alive.
You jump in the shower and the blood starts pumpin'
out on the street the traffic starts jumpin'
with folks like me on the job from 9 to 5!

I was on the street, stuck in traffic, on the way to work, when I heard on the radio that it was Dolly Parton's birthday. Dolly is 65 years young today, and I'll never forget that Dolly was the first live concert I ever saw. She was young, and I was even younger, and I've loved her every day since.

I love her website , and even though I don't own her cookbook (I love the title - Dolly's Dixie Fixin's), I'm happy to swipe a recipe or two, and make the Dollar Store version.

Let's make some biscuits, as served in her Dixie Stampede!

5 tablespoons melted butter
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups baking mix
2/3 cup whole milk
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
In a small bowl combine the butter and garlic; set aside.
In a medium bowl combine the baking mix with the milk and mix just until a soft dough forms. Do NOT over-mix. Add the cheese to the dough and stir to combine. If the dough still seems just a tad dry/sticky, go ahead and add a drop or two more of milk or water.
Using a teaspoon, drop the dough onto an un-greased cookie sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Remove the biscuits from the oven and lightly brush with the butter-garlic mixture.
Serve warm.

Mmmmm . . . these are so good, I'm going to have to spend a week eating nothing but Dolly Parton soup, aka 'the Cabbage Soup' diet to fit into my Nudie Suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment